Pages

Thursday 9 February 2012

Great Servers of St Helens Hoyland





We have had a lot of Altar Servers over the years (as you will probably have guessed), but two of them were by far the best. Both Head Servers: Luke Doyle and Anthony Dyson were by far the best servers our church has ever seen.

I don't know much about Luke, as he sadly died before I was born. But I did know that he was a very genorous man, always giving up both time and money for the needs of the church. And he was a server of our parish for over 60 years!

Anthony Dyson, however, I did know. He was the Head Server of the parish when I first started serving about 8 years ago, so (as you will have guessed) he was the one that trained me and as such I have the upmost respect for him, even today. He was very much like Luke in that he was generous in the same way Luke was and he was also a very dedicated man. He served for around 40 years (5 of which I served too). In his early serving life both him and his brother, Terry, served with the Pope (don't know which one) but still serving with the Pope is a once in a lifetime thing which some people never have the chance to do!

So there you have it, two really dedicated servers.

No comments:

Post a Comment